The Johnson Wax building marked Wright's return to metal furniture since he first utilized the material in the Larkin building of 1905. Within the cavernous space, Wright incorporated organic forms to complement the curvilinear motif of the floor plan. In this particular chair design, a circle is doubled, acting as the seat and backrest, supported by parallel rows of semicircular ribs to create an expressive and rigid frame.
[The Johnson Wax building was] designed to be as inspiring a place to work in as any cathedral was designed to worship in.
Frank Lloyd Wright