"A Structure of Beauty,
Utility and Permanence"
A Custom Knoll Cabinet for the Heinz Company
The present lot is from the Riley Research Center, which was designed in 1958 by Gordon Bunshaft of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, as part of the H.J. Heinz Company complex in Pittsburgh. The center was built in the gleaming International Style, with a glass and aluminum façade; the interiors were designed by Florence Knoll and the Knoll Planning Unit to match the exterior's elegance.
This floating cabinet, with a Calcutta marble slab top, is a non-production piece, created custom for Jack Heinz's sixth-floor office suite. It is shown in the picture of the office below, mounted to the wall behind the table. The building has undergone numerous renovations over the years and this piece is one of the few that has survived from the original Knoll interiors.