Flavigny dining tableAteliers Jean Prouvé
France, 1945 / c. 1970
composite stone, enameled steel
80 w x 33 d x 29 h in (203 x 84 x 74 cm)
This form was originally designed for the Flavigny Sanatorium in 1945 and put into wider production in the 1950s. The table tops of the original models were fragile and in the 1970s the design was modified to accomodate a thicker, more study composite stone table top.
literature: Jean Prouvé, Complete Works Volume 2: 1934-1944, Sulzer, pg. 297 for first notation of "red artificial stone" in Prouvé’s tables and photograph of predecessor to the present form Jean Prouvé, Seguin and Navarra, ppg. 76-77 Jean Prouvé: The Poetics of the Technical Object, von Vegesak et al, pg. 312